So, there are some things that I wanted to share about the kids and us that I haven't put into posts as of yet, so this is a little verbal update for you.
Holden is a little bubblemaker. He makes bubbles around his lips all the time. When he's upset or when he's playing...there are bubbles. We also refer to him as Scooter Pooter, Boo, Sweetie Pie, Baby, and Knothead. He's rolling over, cooing, laughing, observing, kicking, sleeping better, eating plenty, and filling his size 2 diapers like nobody's business. In summary...he's a healthy and happy three month old. If he would learn to like the car seat, we'd be even better off, but so far...not the case.
Fletcher is a future preacher. He runs around shouting, "Amen!" and singing songs or talking about "Bible," which is what he seems to like best about school. You wouldn't know it from the videos I took at his promotion ceremony, but he likes "Bible" the best because it's the singing and moving part of chapel time. We also refer to him as Big Boy, Baby Boy, Sweetheart, and Knucklehead. Lately, he's been a little b-r-a-t, although I'd never call him that. He's great when it's just him most of the time, but as soon as he feels like he wants or needs something and we can't get it in his timeline or he feels like he's not getting what he wants because of Holden, he'll act out. Even when things are pleasant, he might randomly go after Holden with a push, poke, or pinch. It drives me crazy. He's repeatedly heard the words, "Get off him!," "Leave him alone!" and "Don't touch his face!" He's also heard these requests in the positive form, but let's face it, even when I'm trying to sugarcoat my requests, what I'm getting across are the quotes above.
Jesse has been gone this whole week and that's pretty much the only change around here. Fletcher has all of a sudden decided to play in the toilet water (3 times!), climb the toilet to get to things on the shelf above it (2 times!), turn the water on in our tub (once), and repeatedly get into things that he knows are not his and he doesn't have any business getting into them. For example, moving his stool to my side of the sink, destroying my deoderant, and using my toothbrush to clean the sink out with the hand soaps he squirted in there. Or, getting the children's soap from under his sink and dumping a crazy amount of it into the kitchen sink while I was setting up Holden's bath there or dripping it onto the floor in Holden's room while I was changing his diaper. I could lock the bathroom doors, but then he couldn't go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I'm kept on my toes. And the thing is...it's not like I'm just letting him wander around and do whatever he wants. I'm either with him or Holden and oftentimes they are just tag-teaming me with needs to be met or fires to put out.
Recently Fletcher also said his most colorful word yet, compliments of his father's interesting vocabulary, which I have tried to warn against for months. That brought hidden smiles to our faces, but we paid it no attention where he was concerned. Afterall, it's not his fault...he's just learning. He's also learning that I'm tired of the yelling and screaming, so we are working diligently on using an inside voice. I'm also tired of the crying or whining, so if he wants to continue those behaviors, he can go do it in his room. He's just that age, I guess, but I don't want him to think that's how things get done. So, in summary for Fletcher, I pray every night for more patience and the ability to remain in control and calm, because that's how I think he can learn to do the same. But...it's not always easy, especially when I'm trying to protect Holden from harm.
Now, after reading what I just wrote about Fletcher, he sounds horrible. I must take a minute and share that he loves his brother. He really wants to play with him. He just doesn't quite know how. He greets him every morning, says goodnight to him each night. Tickles, kisses, and hugs him each day. He wants to hold him when he can. He'll lay next to him on the ground. He pulls his rocking chair over by the swing so he can look at him. He likes to sing him songs. He thinks it's the funniest thing when Holden smiles at him or laughs. He'll peek at him when he's nursing or sleeping on me. He's a very caring child and just needs some reminders during his interactions with his little brother.
Fletcher also loves to take showers with us. We had to do this on vacation because of timing, but it's a treat when he gets to do it at home. He loves to play outside and we've been playing in the little blow-up pool or around the yard. I try to get him outdoors each day. He also likes to march and jump. He loves to help in the kitchen and still loves to clean. He is saying more and more and more. He said his first sentences in mid-March. Sometimes he sounds like an Italian speaking English because he gets so animated and excited and adds a syllable to the ends of each word. He seems to work backwards through his thoughts as he's trying to share something.
We love both boys more than they'll ever know of course, but we have some things going on with ourselves as well.
I am typically taking care of them. I don't know where the time goes half the time because I'm doing things, but can't put my finger on it. I basically maintain all of the functions of our house and try my best to make the house our cozy and loving home. Kids, housework, cooking, and correspondence, as well as planning, socializing, and working with pictures and the blog take up my days. I'm currently in the process of figuring out what I need to do to keep my teaching certificate active and need to make some phone calls to see what I can do from here to make that happen before it expires. In the meantime, I've been trying to set my kids up with an early exposure to reading and language. We started the summer reading program at the county library to give Fletcher a new experience with it. He loves his B-C's (the letters of the alphabet..ABC's, that is). He and his father play a game they call "Itchy Itchy Ichabod" from Dr. Seuss's ABC's Big I Little I page. They itch each other.
I have also taken an interest in food lately. I have found a great blog that I've used for a couple recipes. www.freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.com You should check it out. I have made batches and batches of granola bars that are amazing! Since we eat so many of them, why not try to make some ourselves? I've also dug out the breadmaker and done two loaves and plan to make more soon. I made 12 containers of strawberry freezer jam, using three different recipes to play with the amount of sugar in each one. Again, we eat a lot of strawberry jelly, so why not try? I also made a ton of hummus. None of these recipes really take a lot of time. It took more time to research them and learn the steps than actually making them once I got the hang of it. Finally, I'm looking into different diets and ways to lose weight. I'm not a dieter...I always just exercised more and ate what I wanted, but times have changed. I'm just trying to combine different things and will start paying more attention to portion sizes and what I'm putting in my body. Since I'm still nursing, right now is not the time to cut my calories, but Jesse would like to lose some weight too, so I'm starting us both on a couple things.
Jesse is doing well as well. He's gearing up to go out of town again in a couple months, but he works a ton while he's home too. He spends every waking minute of his off time playing with Fletcher and Holden or helping me around the house with various projects. He's more than I could have ever hoped for in a husband and father. Now...if I could just get him to use a slightly less vibrant vocabulary and help him relax in certain situations...we'd be all set. No, honestly...there's not a whole lot more I want from this guy and it's great to feel that way. He plays drums with Fletcher, which is beating bellies lightly, like playing the drums. He lets Fletcher help him water the trees. They have special play time on Saturday mornings upstairs and watch home improvement shows together at the same time. Since having Holden, he pretty much gives Fletcher his bath each night. He just finished his Master's and is taking another class. He's tired from work and working out in the wee hours of the morning, but who isn't tired? He's happy with his career and his family. Soon we'll be celebrating his first Father's Day with Holden!
And that my friends, should serve as a family update!
No comments:
Post a Comment