Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Boulder, Colorado 21-24 Oct 2010


In October, I was able to brave enough to fly solo with Fletcher from NC to CO for a week and from there to AZ for three weeks. Coming back for Thanksgiving and then Christmas and everything to do around here, I haven't had time to address this trip all that much, so I will try to as time goes on.

We were very lucky on our flight to Denver because we had the entire row to ourselves on both sides of the small plane to Charlotte and then an empty seat in the middle on our side of the plane from there to Denver. The man in the aisle loved children and was great with Fletcher the whole way. In addition, the space made nursing this giant 6 month old a little easier, especially since he had become so demanding at that point in time. But what made the flights the best was Fletcher's good mood while he was awake...he just went with the flow from our house all the way to Kat's house in Denver. I got him out of bed at 3:45am (EST) and he didn't go to bed until after 11pm (EST) at their house, but it was just after 9pm there. I didn't mind that it was later than 7:30pm (EST); I had been more afraid of him crashing early and then waking up earlier than normal.

BUT...he woke up throughout every night during the whole month away! Awesome, I know! He had been sleeping through the night before we left (7:30pm-4/5am, then back down 'til 7-8am) for awhile, but for several possible reasons, he reverted back to waking up throughout the night while we were away. It didn't help that we switched places every couple of nights. Not fun at all and hard to get through, but I'm really glad I got to take him to meet more family and friends and add two more states to his list of places he's been!

So, after a night in Denver, I rented a car and drove to Boulder, Colorado to visit my brother Jon, his wife Virginia, and their four children Aaron, Joshua, Avery, and Jackie. That's right! Fletcher has been able to meet his entire extended family in his first 8.5 months (because he just met his Uncle Ryan) and he was able to meet some of our extended families as well. (Still have to get to some of those gatherings, I know!)

We arrived dressed to hunt because Aaron and Jon actually had to leave the following morning to go on a deer hunting trip and Aaron was lucky and skilled enough to make his first kill! (I don't know if that's what they call it, but he shot his first deer during their trip.) I'm just glad that Jon and Aaron were able to see Fletcher and me and before they left!



The entire family was so understanding about being flexible with Fletcher's schedule and honestly, I just wanted to visit with them and hang out, so it seemed to work out just fine, even though you can imagine that a house with four children doesn't stop! Since Aaron and Jon were gone, Joshua, Avery, and Jackie were the cousins Fletcher played with the most. And he just adored his Aunt Virginia!



While the kids were at school, Virginia fulfilled two requests of mine. Odd as they were, she was all game. We drove by Jonbenet Ramsey's house a few times. I don't know why, but I really just wanted to see it after being here a few times and never taking the time to do so. And going to The Buff Restaurant, which was featured on Man vs. Food. I had the Saddlebags, which Adam ate. I had mine with bacon in the pancakes and it looked like someone else wouldn't have minded starting breakfast foods that day either!


Our whole family went to Fletcher's first football game. UC Boulder vs. Texas Tech. He went to his first parade the night before and got to watch the band, cheerleaders, and dance team. He and Jackie also got little golden footballs. I was all about supporting CU like we were locals, but now they are part of the PAC-12, so...you know where my loyalty lies! The game was great. We made it there for the second half. The weather was perfect. Fletcher had fun, but slept through part of it. Joshua had fun using his new camera.




Fletcher was a trooper with all the running around, even though he got very tuckered out at times.


We dressed in black for the team, and luckily Fletcher had his "Happy Halloween!" shirt with him. We used it for all these pictures with their fun Halloween decorations. Avery and Jackie helped get his attention or set the pictures up.



And, What would a trip to Boulder be without enjoying the view? Especially in Fall!



Here's the view from their front yard.



And the view I stopped for on my drive from Boulder back to Denver.


Thanks for being such great hosts for our trip to Boulder! Next time, Jesse better be there! (Fourth time's a charm, right?)

No comments: