Monday, February 13, 2012

Love Letters Part One

Valentine's Day is this week, so I thought I'd share some love through a couple different posts. Hope you don't mind!

While I was sorting through boxes of things in our house, I came across many letters that I've kept throughout the years. I weeded them out, but of course kept some cards and notes from special people or relatives that have passed away or remain a special part of my life. Once it's gone, it's gone!

While I was doing this, I couldn't help but think that my kids probably won't really write letters back and forth to their friends and family like I did when I was a kid. I'd meet people at church camp and we'd write back and forth because it was long distance to call each other...even from Glendale to Mesa! I'd write my cousins back and forth all the time too, not to mention grandparents! Oh...and let's not forget how we'd write notes in class, especially in middle school and folding them was a work of art! I can't believe it wasn't until college that I had an e-mail account! These days, it's a treat to open the mailbox to actual snail mail rather than credit card offers and junk mail.

Anyway, while going through "stuff," I was reminded of different times in my life and thought I'd highlight some of them here! Some of you...my followers and friends...were a part of these times and hopefully you won't mind me sharing!

If you know me, you know I'm pretty hard to surprise, but my friend, Sarah, from high school pulled off a large surprise 18th birthday party for me my senior year of high school. It's been one of the biggest surprises that someone's been able to do for me even to this day!

Here are some cards from that party:

"Happy Birthday, Anna! Did you suspect? I hope not! Anyway, it was so hard not to tell you all those times when you seemed so sad! I'm totally glad that we've become better friends! Thanks so much for always listening - I never get sick of you! :) - Sarah"

In a Christmas card, "Anna - Hey birthday girl!! You are an awesome friend and I really admire you! Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too! Love, Melissa"

A foreign exchange student gave me an Anne Geddes card with a picture of a baby hatching out of an egg, surrounded by chicks. On the inside it says, "Hatch yourself a very Happy Birthday!" She wrote: "Dear Anna, Happy Birthday! I don't know this meaning but I bought this card because the picture is sooooo cute. I hope this sentence isn't strange...Merry Christmas. Love, Mako"

Ahh...the memories!

On another birthday...and I can't remember which birthday it was...I got a group card, and I can't place all the people on the inside in one place! On the card, it says, "A lot of people experience deja vu on their birthday." (This is on the outside, the inside, and the back of the card.)

Written by different people:
"Happy Birthday, Anna! You're such a sweetie! Love Always, Kelli"
"Anna...Hiya!"
"Anna, You stole my birthday, but that's okay. Zack"
"Hey Anna, I hope you have a great birthday. Stay sweet. Jill"
"Happy Birthday Anna! Love, Noelle"
"Happy Birthday! Love ya! Rachel and Jacob"
"Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! deja vu! Love ya always, Melissa"

It's just nice to have people write you a little love! More to come on posts to follow!

No comments: